Sunday, May 12, 2013

My first Blog

Here it goes. This is my first blog. Lets start from the beginning to give some background. I am a 28 year old male. I live in the San Diego, Ca area. Been married for 6 years.

My entire life I have been over weight. I was set in my mind that I will always be heavy. Every time I saw a doctor the first thing that came out of their mouth was, "you need to lose weight." They would just tell me that. No help, no guidance. Every doctor wanted to me to have gastric bypass/ lap band. Doctors wanted me to do the medically supervised shake diets. I tried every fad diet under the sun. I would lose 2 or 3 pounds and then gain 5 or 6 pounds back. this was the entire cycle. I tried Diet pills, diet drinks, diet anything I could find. Of course it did not work. Some stuff I tried made me feel horrible. My heart would start to beat very fast.

My blood pressure was high, my cholesterol was high.  I had a fatty liver, all my joints hurt. If I ever went walking I would be out of breath in a very short distance. I would be winded half way up a single flight of stairs.

If we went to any amusement park such as Disneyland I had to determine if I could fit. Being asked to step off a ride since the safety harness wouldn't latch is one of the most embarrassing moment I have ever dealt with. Making an extremely happy, fun time into a horrible disaster.

In January 2013, my wife Maria, got told by the doctor she was diabetic. This was the turning point. My work offers Weight watchers discount. So we decided to sign up. This has changed everything.

My starting weight was 526 pounds on January 16, 2013. First time I am posting my starting weight. I want to get down to 350 lbs by January 2014. We are going on a trip to Hawaii. One activity we want to do has a weight limit. That is why I have that goal set. It seems like a lot to lose in one year, but I know I can do it.

Weight Watchers has really helped change my life. I am so much happier than I have been in a long time. As of May 8, 2013 I have lost a total of 68.2 pounds. Bringing me down to 457.8 lbs. My clothing is fitting better, I can sit in seats easier. My blood pressure is now in the normal range. My cholesterol is just higher than what it should be. My liver looks much better. My new doctor is amazed with my progress.

My activity level is much higher than it has ever been. I have done two 5K runs, third will be next week. I never thought I would ever be able to do this before. I can conquer stairs without being out of breath. Exercise does not intimidate me any more.

I know I can do this. I WILL DO THIS. I have so many people in my life supporting me. Every one is giving me so much encouragement. Please keep it coming.

That is it. I will update this blog as much as possible. Please leave you comments. Let me know what you think.

October 2012


May 2013

11 comments:

  1. Good job Todd! I am so happy that you are so happy with your results! You are doing awesome! Keep it up and keep updating! I will definatly be keeping an eye out for more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you. Keep it up. You inspire me everyday with your dedication. You are also a motivating force that helps me to continue even when I want to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome dude! Keep it up! You're lookin great! Inspiring! You're putting The Biggest Loser to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words cannot express the joy & pride I feel for you Todd!!! You are such an inspiration to me! May you continue strong & hit your goal by January! Whenever we see each other next I can't wait to wrap my arms around you with the biggest hug! Keep up the good work! Love you & Maria to pieces!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy that you have found something that works with you. You are an inspiration to all of us. If you feel like giving up, make sure to post because we will all help you get back on track. I can't wait to see the look on your face the first time I take you snowboarding, scuba diving, and skydiving. Keep pushing hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom and Dad are also very proud of you!!!! Keep up the good work. Your goal is just around the next corner

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are killing it, and I am so happy you have such a great support network. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep it up Todd! You're making such great progress and it's showing! Really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU DA BOMB TODD!!!!
    Can't say it enough.
    Can never explain how much joy it brings me to see you smashing goals with such ease as making it APPEAR easy! This is a tough journey I am lucky to encourage you on. Such a beautiful thing to have so many people behind you, and to have your family on board! I will be following your updates on here as well as not letting you get too far away at work. :) keep mudding in HAWAII on the brain ALWAYS!! That thought alone should push you farther!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Inspiring!! So very proud of you! =,)

    ReplyDelete