Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Depression, and weight loss struggle.

Depression sucks.

It doesn't just make you sad like most people think. It can make you numb. Sometimes others don't even know when a person suffers from depression. You can throw on a smile and chug along in your day. But other days you want to bury your head in the sand like an ostrich.

If you didn't know I suffer from depression.

Depression can lead to lack of sleep, lack of energy, lack of interest in just about everything. It can also lead to significant weight gain. It makes you want to eat, it makes you want to sit on your butt and just melt into the couch.

Everyone that has tried to lose weight knows it has its challenges. Its not an easy process. There are times when I want to melt into the couch and do nothing. But I know if I want to lose weight, I have to get up and move. Weight loss will not happen by its self, or everyone would be able to do it. If it was as easy to lose weight as it is to gain life would be golden.

To deal with the depression I talked to my Doctor. That helped. Losing weight helps. But one of the biggest helps is every person that reads this. Every person that pushes me to try harder. Those days I want to stuff my face with horrible food, and I don't want to exercise I have great people in my life that help me. They all know how to light a fire under my butt. They can motivate me and get me on track.

The times I want to bury my head like an Ostrich are the hardest. Those are when I need the most motivation. Some times all I need is "You can do it", "Way to go", Keep up the great work". Other times I need someone to put my work out clothes on and drag me out the door.

To every person that motivates me, pushes me, helps me, pulls my head out from the sand. THANK YOU. From the bottom of my heart Thank you. I don't think I could do it without all your help. I've heard I inspire people. I don't know about that, but I know you all inspire me to try my hardest. I want to be able to hit my goal. You all bring me out of the gray funk and get me moving, get me motivated.  I want to succeed. I will succeed

Now onto this week. 

I lost 2.2 lbs this week. Down a total of 64.8 lbs. Bringing me down to 461.2 lbs. I earned another 5K charm for finishing my 3rd race.

 I was able to run/walk a 4.5 mile marathon over the Coronado Bay Bridge in San Diego. The views were amazing. But the best part, I DID IT. I RAN across the finish line. I wanted to give up toward the end, but I dug down deep, pushed hard and I finished. I couldn't be prouder of everyone that did the run with me. This was the first marathon we signed up for. But this was our third marathon we participated in. I now want to do more. I am loving it.

Depression happens. But what happens in the end is up to you. You can melt into the couch, stuff your face with horrible food and become more depressed. Or you can get up and move. Get up get motivated. That is the option I want to choose. I want to be motivated. I want to take care of my health, mental and physical. You cant work on your physical health until you work on your mental health. Keep those people that help you, motivate you, love you, Close. Contact them. Keep them in your life. The people that bring you down, push you into the gutter, want to bury your head in the sand, Get rid of them. Get them out of your life, you don't need them.

We can all do better. We can all get out of the funk. We will all succeed if you try hard enough. Please feel free to comment and share this blog with anyone that is willing to read. You motivate me, let me try to help others.

The Amazing Shrinking Dude
Todd



5 comments:

  1. Son, we are beside you every step of the way. You have done a great job, keep up the good work. The bridge run was so much fun I am ready to do it again with you. I will walk with you anytime and also try and help you with the depression. Anything!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very brave putting that out there. Not too many people like to address their eating problems with linking to depression. For some reason, depression is still a taboo subject and umfortunately people still have the view that depression makes you weaker as a person. What makes you weaker is not getting the help you need and surrounding yourself with positive people. Im so glad that you got help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Per our conversation earlier.. LOL! (lots of love) hahaha
    ::hug:: Oh Todd, I feel your pain.
    Great job on the 2.2 pounds lost this week!! Please always remember that success takes part perseverance and part PATIENCE which I think is the worst percentage of it. You have come so far. Burying your head will just make it hard to understand you when you are forced to talk to me. :) It's hard for some people to understand an underlying depression that's within otherwise happy & funny people. It is SO HARD to get through.. The best I can do is keep up with you, thank you for sharing with me. I will send you as many hugs as you need, and share always your true feelings, many people are out here listening!! :} turtle face

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd, You are a gifted writer, and so very brave for sharing your feelings. You are not alone. Most people who battle their weight realize that there is a physical/emotional connection. It's OK to feel overwhelmed sometimes, but remember you are also stronger than you know! Every time you choose to take care of yourself, you win a victory. I also think you will enjoy watching the video on Netflix "Hungry for Change" and "Food Matters". It has been eye opening for me. Basically, the food industry has found ways to make the junk foods so addictive to our bodies that when we add in stress and the hectic lifestyle, we end of craving the very thing that is making us ill in the first place. Be loving and kind to your heart and care for yourself with the healthiest whole foods you can find, celebrate all of the positive changes you are making. And don't forget you are not alone! Lots and Lots of love to you!
    Auntie Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been there. Some don't understand that depression is not feeling sad, it is mostly not feeling anything. One of the only things that ever worked to beat my depression is running....and it looks like you are taking that head on! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete