Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Mountain & Fears Conquered in One Afternoon


Saturday we decided to go for a Hike in the mountains around San Diego. My wife Maria. My Oldest Brother Scott, My Mom.

The hike we decided to conquer was called Stonewall Mountain in the Cuyamaca National Forest, East of San Diego, Ca.  http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=667
The hike was a 4.5 mile round trip. We decided to go at 2:00 in the afternoon. It was cool and cloudy around our house. When we got to the mountain it was 90 deg F. Not a cloud in the sky. Beautiful Day.

We started our Hike. Water packs strapped to our back. Hiking Poles in Hand. The first part of the hike was brutal. Very Steep. No shade. HOT. After the first half mile the steepness was not as bad. There was more shade and the breeze picked up to cool us down. The rest of the trail was all switchbacks. Very gradual grade. Few rocks and steps here and there. It was compacted dirt most the way up.

Once we got done with first few switchbacks we started to be able to see the amazing views. They started to appear thou the trees. The trees were burnt from wild fires a few years ago, and were starting to grow back. The view was just incredible, breath taking. I have lived in San Diego most my life and this was the first time I have ever climbed a this mountain. I didn't even know there was a trail there until a few days ago thanks to Maria.

My brother felt like jogging, so he took off up to the top. He is training for a 10K mud run next week. My mom and Wife stayed with me. We took a break every few switchbacks. Making sure we drank LOTS of water. Since it was so hot, Maria poured some water on my back and head to cool me down. This kept me cool enough to keep moving. When ever we needed a break we would take one. Mom & Maria were cheering me to keep going. Once I caught my breath and cooled a bit we would continue. About half way up I got a text message from my brother saying he hit the top. I told him where we were and he started cheering us on via Text message. Messages like "you're doing great, keep pushing." "You are going to love this view. You can do it."

Having my family push me and cheer me on was amazing. I was telling my self, I can do this. I will conquer this mountain. In the last few months I have completed three 5K runs/walks. Color run, Chula Vista Fun run & the Bridge run. I went up a mountain last week. Lost over 75 lbs. So I knew I could make it to the top of Stonewall mountain.

Once we reached the last switchback we could see the top. Scott was perched on a rock at the very TOP of the mountain, waiting for us. to reach the last section of the mountain we had to climb some narrow stairs to reach the top. This was where Maria had to conquer her fears. She is afraid of heights. Mom went first and made it to the top. Next was Maria. I was was going up last. All I could hear Maria saying was "I will make it to the top, don't look down!" She got to the first step. Moving one foot in front of the other, she started to ascend to the top. One stair at a time. She was doing it. She was facing her fear right in the face. After each step, Maria would repeat "I will make it to the top." Before she knew it she was at the top. The look on her face was terror at first, then amazement. She was in awe.

Now since Maria had made it to the top, it was my turn. Again one step at a time. I did it. Making it to the top was Breathtaking. We were over 5633 feet above sea level. Full 360 degree view. We could see the lake and everything else around. We took pictures, and rested at the top. We were there about 35 mins. Then we started the trek back down. Again moving one step at a time. Once we started heading back down.

Once we got down to the bottom of the mountain, I was shocked that we did it. We conquered it. Maria faced her fears. My heart was pounding from the excitement. I would do that hike again. I told my family I will jog up the mountain by next year at this time. I am thrilled that I finished. Now its time to rest. I will see what mountain I will conquer next.

Thank you for reading. Please feel free to leave a comment. Share with who ever will read.

Todd
The Amazing Shrinking Dude
April 2012 & June 2013




Maria & I at the top
Mom at the top.
Maria facing her fears. So happy at the top of Stonewall
Final walk to the stairs to the top. 
Maria in a playful mood on the way down the mountain.
Scott over the edge. On the top. 
Amazing view
Scott on the top of a boulder on the way to the top. 
The mountain before we Conquered it. 
I stepped over the rail. I felt like I was on top of the world. 

4 comments:

  1. It was an awesome hike. But I am wiped out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a awesome hike to the top to do this hike with you & Maria. Iam so proud of you for doing this for your health. Let do more. Love you both

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woowwww that is so amazing!!! So cool that taking on this challenge has led you to exploring new ground even though youve lived here for quite some time and is allowing for some amazing new feats and feelings of life. Way to go Maria!! Nice to turn feelings of fear to awe. How spectacular! You guys are all raw participants in life. Sad to say not everyone is. Keep blogging these and have an amazing journey to look back through later on in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, keep shrinking! Hiking is one of the best ways to keep your heart pumping. Feel free to get new San Diego hiking ideas from my blog at 100peaks.com and please let me know if you looking for inspiration and ideas. Some day you'll look back and think, "Stonewall Peak wasn't that hard!"

    ReplyDelete